Chief Appraiser Institute and Refresher Details
Chief Appraiser Institute
The Chief Appraiser Institute is a 2-week training developed by TAAD to meet the requirements for chief appraiser training set out by law and to give future appraisal district leaders tools and ideas to make them better administrators. All the mandatory training outlined in Chapter 1151 will be included.
As a better job is done in all appraisal districts, fewer complaints will find their way to the public and to legislators, and we all will be better off.
The format of this program will enable the students to learn from some of the best instructors and practitioners in the business, and also learn from one another. And, it will also build a network of friends that will last a lifetime as the Class of 2019.
We believe there is nothing we do more important than training a successor for our jobs. We do a service to our communities and to the state when we provide for a seamless transition when we retire or advance to a new district.
If you are one of the new chief appraisers required by Chapter 1151, Occupations Code to attend special training, the Chief Appraiser Institute curriculum has been accepted by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and covers all topics specified in the legislation. There are 10 sessions planned in two sets of meetings – in September and October.
Tentative List of Classes
- Open Government Day
- The Property Tax Code
- Litigation Management
- Budgeting for Chief Appraisers
- Customer Service
- Aware, Informed, Cooperative and Ready// Working with Your Board of Directors
- Ethics for Chief Appraisers //Overview of TDLR// USPAP Ethics requirements
- Surviving the Human Resources Jungle
- All About the PVS // All About Audits, MAPs and Self-Reports
- All About ARB Operations
- September 30-October 4, 2019 – Week 1 of Class 2019
- October 21-25, 2019 – Week 2 of Class 2019
- February 25, 2020 – Recognition of the 2019 Class at the TAAD Annual Conference Awards Luncheon, Renaissance Dallas Hotel
- Spring 2020 – Registration packet will be available
- September 21-25, 2020 – Week 1 of Class 2020
- November 2-6, 2020 – Week 2 of Class 2020
Registration is not open to non-members.
Duration: Unless otherwise specified, class times will be 8:30 – 5 daily. We’ll finish on Fridays at noon in order to facilitate travel.
Dates: September 30-October 4, 2019 & October 21-25, 2019 | September 21-25, 2020 & November 2-6, 2020 |
Location for September 30: TAAD Office - 7700 Chevy Chase Dr., Building 1, Suite 425, Austin, TX 78752
Location for September 21: TAAD Office - 7700 Chevy Chase Dr., Building 1, Suite 425, Austin, TX 78752
Chief Appraiser Refresher
The format of this five-day class will enable chief appraisers to learn from some of the best instructors and practitioners in the business, and also learn from one another. And, it will also build a network of colleagues to provide support, experience and cooperation in the administration of your appraisal district.
Tentative Class Topics
- Laws and Rules/Legislative Advocacy/Dealing with the Media
- The Veterans Take on PVS, MAP and Anything Else Required for PTAD Submission
- The Fun Side of Budgeting
- Customer Service
- Litigation Management
- Open Government Top Topics
- ARB Issues
- HR – The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
Class size will be limited. We welcome not only veteran chief appraisers, but also deputy and assistant chief appraisers, as well as chief appraisers who are associate members. Please understand that this is not the same program as the Chief Appraiser Institute and the mandatory training it provides to new chief appraisers.
Other important dates:
- Summer 2020 – Registration packet will be available
- Class is the week of October 12-16, 2020
NOTE: The Chief Appraiser Refresher will be offered during even-numbered (non-legislative) years. Registration is not open to non-members or contractors.
Duration: Unless otherwise specified, class times will be 8:30 – 5 daily. We’ll finish on Friday at noon in order to facilitate travel.
Dates: October 12-16, 2020 |
Location: TAAD Office - 7700 Chevy Chase Dr., Building 1, Suite 425, Austin, TX 78752