Chief Appraiser Institute and Refresher Details
Chief Appraiser Institute
At this time, we are planning on having our Chief Appraiser Institute in-person at the North Austin Marriott in Round Rock, Texas. The local and state restrictions and guidelines will be followed to ensure everyone is as safe as possible. If anything changes, we’ll let you know.
The Chief Appraiser Institute is a 2-week training developed by TAAD to meet the requirements for chief appraiser training set out by law and to give future appraisal district leaders tools and ideas to make them better administrators. All the mandatory training outlined in Chapter 1151 will be included.
As a better job is done in all appraisal districts, fewer complaints will find their way to the public and to legislators, and we all will be better off.
The format of this program will enable the students to learn from some of the best instructors and practitioners in the business, and also learn from one another. And, it will also build a network of friends that will last a lifetime.
We believe there is nothing we do more important than training a successor for our jobs. We do a service to our communities and to the state when we provide for a seamless transition when we retire or advance to a new district.
If you are one of the new chief appraisers required by Chapter 1151, Occupations Code to attend special training, the Chief Appraiser Institute curriculum has been accepted by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and covers all topics specified in the legislation. There are 10 sessions planned in two sets of meetings – in October and November.
Tentative List of Classes
- Open Government Day
- The Property Tax Code
- Litigation Management
- Budgeting for Chief Appraisers
- Customer Service
- Aware, Informed, Cooperative and Ready// Working with Your Board of Directors
- Ethics for Chief Appraisers //Overview of TDLR// USPAP Ethics requirements
- Surviving the Human Resources Jungle
- All About the PVS // All About Audits, MAPs and Self-Reports
- All About ARB Operations
- August 1, 2021 – Application deadline. An applicant is not officially registered and will not be admitted to class until TAAD receives payment and completed registration form and supporting documents. Checks only.
- August 8, 2021 – Acceptance verification will be sent by email to prospective members of the 2021 Chief Appraiser Institute.
- September 13-17, 2021 – Week 1 of the Chief Appraiser Institute at the Austin Marriott North in Round Rock, Texas.
- November 8-12, 2021 – Week 2 of the Chief Appraiser Institute at the Austin Marriott North in Round Rock, Texas.
- February 8, 2022 – Recognition during the Awards Luncheon at TAAD’s 41st Annual Conference at the Gaylord Texan Hotel in Grapevine, Texas.
Registration is not open to non-members.
Duration: Unless otherwise specified, class times will be 8:30 – 5 daily. We’ll finish on Fridays at noon in order to facilitate travel.
Dates: September 13-17, 2021 & November 8-12, 2021 |
Location: North Austin Marriott - 2600 La Frontera Blvd, Round Rock, TX 78681
Chief Appraiser Refresher
We have plans to hold the refresher sessions again in 2022.
The format of this five-day class will enable chief appraisers to learn from some of the best instructors and practitioners in the business, and also learn from one another. And, it will also build a network of colleagues to provide support, experience and cooperation in the administration of your appraisal district.
Tentative Class Topics
- Laws and Rules/Legislative Advocacy/Dealing with the Media
- The Veterans Take on PVS, MAP and Anything Else Required for PTAD Submission
- The Fun Side of Budgeting
- Customer Service
- Litigation Management
- Open Government Top Topics
- ARB Issues
- HR – The Good, the Bad, the Ugly
Class size will be limited. We welcome not only veteran chief appraisers, but also deputy and assistant chief appraisers, as well as chief appraisers who are associate members. Please understand that this is not the same program as the Chief Appraiser Institute and the mandatory training it provides to new chief appraisers.
NOTE: The Chief Appraiser Refresher will be offered during even-numbered (non-legislative) years. Registration is not open to non-members or contractors.
Duration: Unless otherwise specified, class times will be 8:30 – 5 daily. We’ll finish on Friday at noon in order to facilitate travel.